Wednesday, March 23, 2011

fire on the mountain

About a month ago there was a massive forest fire on the mountains behind our house. We live right near the Shenandoah National Park .  The fire burned 2,000 to 3,000 acres.  We could see the smoke and sometimes the actually fire from our house.  The fire burned about 3 days.


It was a Saturday. I was lying in bed around 9:30 and heard a fire engine drive by.  The wind was roaring and spreading the fire.  Firemen even from out of state came in to work on fighting the fire.  


That Saturday evening my sister was to have her bridal shower. My dad and mom left for the evening. My dad told us to leave if we could see actually flame on the mountain from our house.  I was driving away before my sister to the shower. I saw the panorama of the fire, and could see flame... i almost started crying turned around and told my sister, "You need to come now."  


It was exciting and scary to have this fire burning so close to us. At night the mountain had a line of red fire glowing and burning... it was beautiful. It looked like Mordor from the Lord of the Rings.  


Saturday, 1st day-pictures from our house
down the road from our house

seeing the big picture


Sunday, 2nd day-from a different perspective

2nd day, down the road from our house

...and for your enjoyment some local cows!
There was no loss of house or life with this specific fire.  But the same day (Saturday) there were 2 other forest fires burning in our area.  On another mountain a fire burned, 2 houses were lost.



No comments: